Saturday 1 November 2008

Will Paula Radcliffe win the New York marathon again?

Paula and daugher Isla after her victory in NY last year

Tomorrow sees one of the highlights of the running calendar: The ING New York City Marathon. In both men and women's races the top of the elite runners will be at the starting line. My favourite race will be the women's race with Paula Radcliffe who can win the race for a 3rd time. Radcliffe won the ING New York City Marathon 2004 over Susan Chepkemei of Kenya by three seconds, the closest finish in the history of the women’s race; she returned last year and won over Ethiopia’s Gete Wami.
Tomorrow Paula has tough oppostion from Catherine Ndereba, Gete Wami and Kara Goucher (who runs her debut marathon), who beat Paula in the Great North Run last year.

It will also be nice to see Tegla Loroupe running as I met her in Liverpool last year and she was such a nice lady. Great international runner but a very 'down to earth' person indeed. Although she won't be a contender for the podium, I'm sure she will still run a very respectable time.

On to my race now. I am hoping, if the weather is ok, to run a time near my PB of 22'54" over 5km. Running more miles over the past few weeks should help me in the latter stages of the race when I always 'run out of steam'!

Short report of the race tomorrow.

My race at Alexandra Park Manchester is at 11:30am so we will be back home to watch the NY marathon live on TV on 14:00! Can't wait!


No comments: