Friday 22 May 2009

Chester 1/2 marathon report

Finally my Chester 1/2 marathon report! Well, where shall I start? I was quite nervous for this race because this was the test for my mental motivation and tackling marathon training. I was also a bit apprehensive about having ran my fastest 10K the week previously but in the end there wasn't any need for all these worries!

As I had promised, I started the first couple of hundred metres slow. We had a small hill after about 150 metres and I just tried to settle into my pace. It was quite congested at the start and it took about 300 metres before I could run without getting pushed a lot. The legs felt really good, and when I spotted a lady with a Helsby vest whom I'd beaten for the first time in Christleton recently, I decided to be brave and follow her and a friend. I kept looking at my Garmin (a real God-sent for me!) and saw that we kept running at a pace of just above 12km/h.

Surprisingly between 5-7km -ish, I decided to leave the Helsby runner behind and follow another two runners instead. Another lady tried to follow us for a while as well and paid me the compliment "you're a really good pacer"! Unfortunately she couldn't follow. It was the best decision of the whole race I made staying with the lady and man. She was so great!! Kept on talking about all sorts during the race (I certainly didn't have the extra breath to do so!) and I forgot all about my aches and pains and just 'hung on in there' behind them. I told them I was doing so, and managed to stay with them until about 11miles. They upped the pace and I just couldn't follow.

The last 2 miles were really though and at the 12 mile mark with a drinks station, I actually stopped for a few seconds to make sure I drank the entire cup of water. No water shortage by then, as it started to pour down! I managed to stay focused and was really grateful to see work colleague Lisa with her family just after the 12 mile mark!
I struggled up Grosvenor bridge and by then it was really coming down heavily and could hardly see where I was running with my glasses on.

The very last bit on the Chester Racecourse was a real struggle, but because I could see that I would certainly get under 1h45', the 'I can't be bothered' feeling set in and I just jogged to the finishing line. The support from hubby Dave and daughter Rebecca at the very end was what I needed and a big thanks to both for all the support in the pouring rain!

I was so happy with the result and not bothered at all looking like a 'drowned rat'. All the hard work had been worth it and got straight on the phone to brother Pascal to tell the good news. Well...managed to 'pull his leg' first!!

I was going to post some data too, but to be honest I don't like posting too much of that on my blog. Main aim has been achieved and up to the marathon now!!!

First some short races in Belgium: Sunday in Tielt: 5km, Wednesday in Roeselare: 3.5km, Friday in Harelbeke: 5.6km and Monday 1st June in Kortrijk: 5km.
After that one 5km in Chester: the Race for Life.

The marathon training will begin the 3rd week of June and I am finalising the schedule thanks to Lieven Demeestere and brother Pascal!

Not sure if I will post a lot from Belgium, but will try to post some results!

Bye - Nathalie

1 comment:

sandra said...

Een mooi verslagje!! En beter dan je verwacht had: proficiat!!